Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What a Year it has Been!

I have to say, 2011 started out with a bang!  With the snowstorm of the century giving us 20+ inches of snow, we really ended up having our summer vacation in January!  I love the snow, though, so I wasn't all that upset!


But by the time spring came around, our lives were a whirlwind!  Ashley launched the The Purple Dress Project to raise money for research for Crohn's Disease.  She did a marvelous job and received so much recognition from the media and the CCFA.  The walk was in St. Louis and all of us participated.  She was recognized all through the walk!  She wore the same dress for 30 days.  As you can see the dress was able to be reconfigured to be many different outfits!



Then Bob announced his retirement, a bittersweet event to say the least.  He received such a wonderful farewell from his staff.  He continues to hear from the best of them on a regular basis.  We both are so proud to be Lewis and Clark people.



Following Bob's big news, we then focused on helping Ashley celebrate her biggest achievement to date:  graduating from the University of Missouri with her PhD!  The parties!  The celebration!  The cupcakes!





Then Ashley learned that she got a job in Indiana as a professor in the Textiles and Apparel department at the University of Indiana!  I was really excited too, until I realized she was going to have to MOVE to take the job.  Still happy for her, just not wanting her so far away!  Eric is keeping busy going to school full time and really enjoying it.  He served as a groomsman at his friend Coty's wedding recently.



And me, what have I been up to?  I continue to support all sorts of ways to raise money for a cure for cancer.  I participated in my second Relay for Life (as the Pretty in Pink team captain!) and in my second Race for the Cure.   I am taking my last college class in December and passed my comps in October.  I will be writing my dissertation in the next few weeks.  I got to ride in Mizzou's 100th Homecoming Parade in the Wells Fargo carriage and give a speech about my cancer experience in Marceline. 




We have had an amazing year.  We have learned to take advantage of the moments in our lives.  Bob and I took a cruise to Mexico to celebrate his retirement.  We took a family vacation to the Ohio River Valley and just hung out and enjoyed each other's company.  Bob and I attended Game 6 of the 2011 World Series together.  We continue to cheer on our Missouri Tigers as they leave the Big 12 and join the SEC.   We are learning our way to Bloomington, Indiana and have learned that six hours in the car is no big deal when you are going to see your daughter!










Here's to wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Past years Christmas blogs:

Christmas 2007
Christmas 2008
Christmas 2009
Christmas 2010
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. You guys have had quite the year...best wishes for a wonderful Christmas, and blessed 2012!

    ReplyDelete